For some oral surgery procedures, such as root canals, oral surgery, or tooth extraction, it’s possible to be sedated rather than to use a local anesthetic. Patients who are particularly nervous or fearful about their procedure may benefit from sedation dentistry, as they will have no sensation during the procedure.
Benefits of Houston Sedation Dentistry
While some patients might be nervous about sedation dentistry, the benefits far outweigh any minimal risks involved. Here are just a few reasons why you might want to opt for sedation dentistry from our Houston sedation dentist:
- It’s great for patients who are anxious about their procedure or have a fear of the dentist.
- You’ll have no memory of the procedure.
- Sedation dentistry is great for longer procedures, as to you it will only feel as though a few minutes have passed.
- It eliminates any pain you may have due to very sensitive teeth during the procedure.
- It will disable your gag reflex if you’re particularly sensitive.
- With sedation dentistry, you won’t have to worry about local anesthetic wearing off during the procedure.
- It’s a huge help for patients who have a hard time sitting still.
- Sedation dentistry is safe and effective.
What to Know about Sedation Dentistry in Houston
There are two types of sedation that you might opt to receive in sedation dentistry: IV sedation, where the drugs are administered through a needle into your bloodstream, or sedation through a gas that you inhale.
Your insurance company may not cover certain types of sedation used in sedation dentistry. Be sure to review your policy before booking your appointment. Your Houston sedation dentist will be able to explain the different options available to you.
Please note that you must have a legal adult present with you for any procedure where you will be sedated. Our Houston office also offers free Uber rides to and from the dental clinic for Houston sedation dentistry procedures, so you don’t have to worry about how you’ll get home.
If you’d like to discuss sedation dentistry with your Houston, TX sedation dentist, call our Houston office and make an appointment today!