Fillings are no longer the silver-colored metal of decades past. Our office is happy to offer tooth-colored resin fillings that look natural and don’t affect the look of your smile. If you currently have metal fillings and would like them replaced, we’re happy to remove them and fit you with resin fillings instead.
Benefits to Resin Fillings
There are many reasons to opt for tooth-colored resin fillings over traditional metal fillings.
- They’re virtually undetectable, blending seamlessly in with the rest of your tooth.
- They don’t contain mercury as silver fillings do.
- They bond with the enamel of your tooth for a better fit.
- They dry in minutes, rather than the hours a metal filling requires.
- They last just as long as their metal counterparts and are easier to repair or replace.
Procedure for Resin Fillings
Your dentist will begin the procedure by injecting you with a local anesthetic to numb any discomfort you might experience. The tooth is then cleaned and any decay is removed, leaving a small gap or hole in the tooth. A bonding solution is applied to the area to help the resin stick, and the gap is then filled with the resin which is molded to fit your tooth.
The resin cures in minutes under a UV light, and as soon as the anesthetic wears off, you can return to eating and drinking normally. You may notice some discomfort after the procedure—over-the-counter pain medication should help with any pain or swelling. You may also notice that the tooth feels a bit strange once it’s filled, but this is normal. It might take a few days for your mouth to adjust to the feeling.
Fillings don’t have to be a big deal. If you’re ready to tackle tooth decay with our natural-looking resin fillings, book an appointment with our office today!