Sometimes teeth become damaged or decayed beyond the level that a filling could repair. Dental crowns offer a way to save the damaged tooth rather than extracting it and receiving an implant. A dental crown is a tooth-colored cap that is placed over the damaged tooth to restore the appearance of your smile. The best part is, they’re strong—dental crowns can last for thirty years.
At U Sparkle Dental in Houston, TX, we offer different types of dental crowns to suit a variety of situations. Talk to your dental crowns dentist in Houston about which type of crown is right for you.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
There are many benefits to choosing dental crowns over other types of restorative procedures.
- They look natural and are virtually undetectable to the naked eye.
- Dental crowns offer a way to save damaged or decayed teeth.
- They can be used when veneers aren’t an option.
- They restore regular eating and drinking abilities, eliminating pain from damaged teeth.
- Dental crowns can be fitted to virtually any tooth, no matter the damage.
- Dental crowns can last a long time and are easy to replace if they crack or break.
Houston Dental Crown Procedure
First, the affected tooth is cleaned, and any decay is removed. Your Houston dental crown dentist will then shape the tooth and take an impression of your mouth so that the dental crown can be custom-made to fit. If your dental crown cannot be made the same day, you will be fitted with a temporary crown and asked to come in for a second appointment.
Once the dental crown has been created, your Houston dental crown dentist will fit it over the damaged tooth. After the anesthesia wears off, you should be able to chew with the crown as you would a normal tooth.
You may experience some pain and swelling in the days following the dental crown procedure. These should go away on their own within a few days, but you can manage them with over-the-counter pain medication in the meantime.
If you have a damaged tooth, it’s not too late to save it. Call our Houston office to book your dental crown appointment today!